Wednesday 3 July 2013

Codes and Conventions of TV Advertisements


When making my TV commercial I shall have to follow the technical codes and conventions hence, to ensure I do this I have researched some of the codes and conventions I may have to follow. 
TV commercials are divided into 4 basic categories:
1. Mini-Dramas: this is a 30-60 second length ad that introduces characters, presents a conflict and the resolution very quickly.
2. Spokesperson Presentation: in this type of ad a celebrity speaks in a convincing way about the product.
3. Pitch Presentation: in this type of ad, the product is more important than the person who is speaking, so the pitchman is just a man or woman that speaks about the product.
4. Voice-over: in voice over adverts, the person who is speaking is not seen in the ad, so you just hear his/her voice.
One important thing I must consider when creating my advert is it's length. Usually they are 30 seconds long, but recently there have been some that are 15 seconds long which make a big compression of the story line to grab the audience's attention.
Another purpose of adverts is to show the brand that is being advertised, and there are a lot of ways I could do this for example, a technique commonly used is showing the brand at the end as a surprise.
An advert must have good techno-effects because with a good special-effect you remember the ad, and with that, you remember the brand and the product. Therefore, I shall to attempt this during my advert to make a good impression on the audience/consumer. So good music and good camera shots are basic things I should include to create a good advert.
Many people consider ads like an art form, they are in essence, little films with a lot of work behind them. Thus, this is something I must consider during the planning process as it shall consist of a lot of work and time.
Nowadays, adverts are part of our current life and some ads become so famous that everyone remembers them. Therefore, something I must remember throughout the planning process is to attempt to create something that is simple but effective and shall catch an audience's attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment